Tuesday 1 October 2019

Xhosa.

Xhosa people are friendly and accommodating. Their tradition encourages the adoption of positive attitudes in life. As such, life becomes an act of celebration. This has made song and dance also distinguish them from other communities in South Africa.

Figure 1 – Elliot, A., (1967). The red blanket people family.

The reason I chose the Xhosa people for my research report is because firstly I am a Xhosa man and secondly I think their story as the people needs to be told, as I have this belief that their social and cultural norms construct a life of a man in having a deep sense of his community and be a productive member of his society. 
Living in the world of materialism I want to attempt to bring the two cultures together, I am using Xhosa culture for the content of my research report and bling for the flashy, ostentatious look to elaborate the look of my contemporary jewellery. through seeing the effects of materialism in my community I deeply feel a sense of responsibility in manufacturing contemporary jewellery that is flashy with a narrative of the Xhosa social and cultural norms that will construct a Xhosa man. Therefore, I will be using the anthropology of a Xhosa man to produce bling contemporary jewellery.


No comments:

Post a Comment