Sunday 20 October 2019

conclusion/ realization.

At this very moment I'm giving jewellery a more serious and significant role, in bestowing it on my culture's essence, there is a realization that it has a great potential to tell and comment on social issues. This growing trend was confirmed by an exhibition "Briliant stories: American narrative jewellery of 1994. Dark sky of Imagination is a narrative piece of jewellery by Kardi Malk. It is derived from the suffering inherent in life, and all of that is expressed through a poetic use of materials. The piece is a mixture of precious and non-precious metals. Of which my Xhosa bling contemporary jewellery is expressed in precious and non-precious materials. I have come to a realization that there can be a successful breakthrough on a large volume of elaborate Xhosa beaded jewellery, which seems possible to infiltrate the fashion world.

When tradition technique is taken up again by an inquisitive and sensitive maker, and pushed a little bit further than its traditional use, I arrived at innovation. I had a plan to make bling jewellery that will use a lot of precious stones, which is a definite of bling-bling. That was the point of interest for me, the use of pave setting, but when I was learning about the Xhosa beaded jewellery I experienced a sense of pride that compelled me to experiment with them. The Xhosa bling jewellery that I have created aims at attention-seeking, a real attention of admiration and then a Xhosa story of a milestone is told. The decision to incorporate glass beads instead of precious stones symbolizes the value they carry to reflect an attempt for acceptance of the message they are created for. 

My designs add value and infinite essence of which they emanate from. They are simple and striking intense glamour to create a striking new look. They are a type of precious jewellery that originates from traditional aspects of my Anthropological milestones of a Xhosa man. I have drawn from notions of anthropology of a Xhosa man to create intricate large jewellery pieces that function as an indicator of status. I have realized that innovation does command attention and force people to look again, in turn, reconsider their assumptions about the wearer and the journey of their jewellery. Going forward conceptually, my jewellery production and style will be innovative contemporary, using my culture which is the embodiment of my existence. (Malk, K. 1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment