Tuesday 1 October 2019

Research methodology.

Purpose of research:

This research project deals with the anthropology of a Xhosa man, on how the Xhosa man anthropological milestones can be interpreted into the manufacturing of contemporary jewellery. The purpose is to take the Xhosa man anthropological milestones interpret that into my own collection of  Xhosa bling contemporary jewelry.

Research methodology:
For this research report, I used the action research methodology developed by professor Jean McNif. This methodology is a self-reflective study that involves planing, acting on the plan, observe and document the outcome, and reflecting on the overall project followed by planning a way forward. 


Planning


  1. Information was gathered to define the following terms relating to the research question.

· Contemporary jewellery.

· Functions of jewellery.

· jewelry as an indicator of status.

· Xhosa bling.

· Signs and symbols.


  1. Information based on other jewellery artists creating similar types of jewellery was collected. I looked into the styles, techniques, and meanings behind the jewellery pieces created by these jewelers:

·         Mbali creations.

·         Graff.

·         Dylon Whyte.

·         Jacob & CO.




  1. In the creation of my jewellery pieces, I used the following methods to plan my designs.

·         I looked at the anthropological milestones of a Xhosa man, collected the information and their purpose, of which I used in my designs.

·         I draw jewellery designs from the stories to the manufacturing of my final pieces (sees fig 2).

Action


  1. I created the following:

·         prototypes.

·         final jewellery pieces.

Observation


  1. I observed the prototype pieces that I created in order to improve their designs in the creation of final pieces.
  2. I observed the jewellery pieces that I created and I wrote down the words that came to my mind; describing my observation of the jewellery pieces. 

Reflection



  1. after I gathered all the information of a milestone, materials to use, I made pieces, I reflected over them in order to improve the designs that lead to the creation of final pieces.
  2. I reflected over the milestones that I learned from the story of a Xhosa man in order to find the meanings for my Xhosa bling jewellery pieces.

Major findings or results:
I started my research with the simple intention of creating highly reflective jewellery with lots of precious stones but found myself interested in working with glass beads through researching the story of a Xhosa man. As a result, I identified the seven anthropological milestones, Izibulo, inkulu, inkwewnkwe, ikrwala, umfana, and unomgcana.

  
Purpose of the look. 


The bling bling look that I would like to achieve is not merely in a sense of elaborate precious jewellery, but precious in the purpose I will create it for. The Xhosa bling jewellery will be the jewellery that talks merely to the status of a Xhosa man, I will look at the ornamented accessories that are associated with his milestones, beadwork and carried accessories, worn or installed such as smoking pipes, isagweba (knobkerrie) (see fig 1) or small bags made of goatskin. I would like to attempt to manufacture jewellery that has these kinds of expressions. I look at bling-bling as too many things going on or happening at the same time of which has a similar look with the Xhosa beadwork. The colors and designs of traditional Xhosa beadwork inspire me.
Figure 1 – Broster, J and Marten A, (1970: ) Xhosa man. (African elegance).
Figure 2 - Rozani B., (2019) drawing of my design process.



No comments:

Post a Comment